Disconnect to Reconnect
It’s no surprise that in this age of social media and same-day delivery at the tip of our fingertips, we all experience feeling disconnected from our “real” lives. When was the last time you spent time with friends and family without simultaneously scrolling through your phone? Look around the next time you’re out to eat. Do you see families having meaningful conversations or people glued to electronics?
Do you struggle to make meaningful connections with your kids or partner? Show them you care by giving them your dedicated attention and make some lasting memories together. This fall, leave the phone at home, get outside, and take some time to reconnect.
We are so lucky to call Brevard County our home, where there is so much nature to explore. Whether you are a fan of the land or sea, there is something for everyone.
Here are five outdoor activities to check out with your family this fall:
- Get out on the water. Between our Atlantic beaches and the Indian River Lagoon, the opportunities for water activities are endless. Try kayaking, paddleboarding, or even fishing to connect to our coastal waterways. An airboat ride on the St. Johns River also is a great way to explore our wetlands. Watch out for gators!
- Backyard camping. Central Florida is home to some incredible options for camping. Sebastian River State park has great camping amenities and there’s plenty to explore. Don’t want to travel so far from home? Take it to the backyard. Pitch a tent, roast marshmallows, and get the camping experience without ever leaving your driveway.
- Hiking. While you won’t find much change in altitude, the Space Coast offers some beautiful hiking trails. The Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge offers several different trails of varying lengths and accessibility. Make sure you stop by the visitor’s center before you leave.
- Check out local events. The fall is a great time to visit farmers markets, family festivals, and more. Make a meal together with freshly picked local produce, cozy up to watch a movie in the park, or plan a beach picnic to see a rocket launch.
- Get festive. It may not feel like it, but the holidays are right around the corner. Kick off the season with a family trip to the pumpkin patch. Get creative and have a decorating or carving contest and give awards for the scariest, funniest, and most original pumpkin.
Remember, leave your phones at home (or use them to only take photos!) and focus on each other. These are the moments you will look back on with a smile on your face, and the memories your kids will talk about year after year.