Struggling with cravings
Do you struggle with sweet cravings, especially at night? You are not alone! Here’s a typical scenario: You try to eat healthy throughout the day and then something takes over your body after dinner. You know you are not hungry, yet you NEED something sweet to make you happy. In order to eliminate these cravings and gain control, we need to explore why you are struggling.
Sugar is more addictive than most illegal drugs! If you crave sweets and lack control, then you need to minimize sugar intake. It may be tough for four to five days, but after it is out of your system, you will be shocked by your willpower.
- Make sure you read labels. As a general rule of thumb, aim for 5 grams or less of sugar (optimally zero). If a product tastes sweet but has no sugar, artificial sweeteners have probably been added, and these also can spark cravings.
- Detoxifying your diet and body through a quality program can eliminate cravings.
Many people skip breakfast and don’t fuel their metabolism until later in the day. They tend to be hungrier at the end of the day.
- Create a healthy schedule to boost your metabolism and eliminate cravings. Aim to eat a balanced breakfast within one hour of waking. Eat small frequent meals every three hours to stabilize your blood sugar.
- Make sure dinner is balanced with protein, a small portion of complex carbs and lots of veggies. If you skip carbs at dinner and throughout your day, I guarantee you will crave sweets at night.
Many of us mindlessly snack on bad things at night out of habit. Maybe you are bored or feel that sweets might bring temporary happiness. If this is the case, change your routine.
- Some ideas: walk, do evening yoga, sign up for a creative class, play a game, or call a friend.
- Many people are dehydrated, thirst can manifest as hunger. Also try chewing gum and brushing your teeth early.
At the end of a hard day dealing with work and family, we may feel like we need and deserve a treat. The ideas above may help, but you need to work on the root cause — stress management.
- Create more balance in your life. If your job is hectic, take a break and walk away from your computer every two hours. If you are overwhelmed at home, regularly schedule time for yourself.
- Incorporate consistent yoga and meditation.
Most people think they need to cut calories in order to lose weight and be healthier. That is called dieting. If you want to heal your metabolism forever, it’s more important to detoxify your body of sugar and maintain a stable blood sugar throughout the day.